Bask in the glory of your garden in high summer with our Gauteng gardening guide for January. This month we have some seasonal gardening tips and water-saving suggestions to help your garden flourish.
ON YOUR TO-DO LIST FOR JANUARY
Plant & Sow
- Fill empty pockets with colour by planting marigolds and vinca (both water-wise varieties).
- Plant shade plants such as begonia, impatiens, lobelia and coleus varieties.
- Summer is a good time to grow your own produce. Plant new crops of radish, lettuce, cherry tomatoes, sweet basil and coriander. Pro tip: Remember to rotate your crops as this improves soil fertility.
- Feed roses with Atlantic Flower & Fruit to encourage new summer growth.
- Add compost to roses to improve the condition of the soil and retain water and food.
- Water full-sun pot plants daily and feed weekly with Multifeed Classic.
- Shaded and semi-shaded pot plants should be watered every 2-3 days, and fed weekly with Multifeed Classic. Note: Water requirements may differ according to the temperature of certain areas.
Since Gauteng is on level 1 water restrictions, watering your garden needs to take place between 6pm and 6am to prevent any water wastage. Other water-wise tips:
SHARE THIS ARTICLE: