August is a good month to give your lawn some extra attention. This will help it recover from the winter cold and prepare it for the spring growth that lies ahead. Here’s what you should do now – and in the coming months – to ensure that your grass stays lush and green.
Here are some tips to help you get your lawn in perfect shape for summer:
- Feed your lawn with a specially formulated lawn fertiliser such as Bio Ganic for Lawns. Apply fertiliser in the early morning, while it is still cool and water well afterwards. Make a note in your diary to feed your lawn again at 4-6 week intervals.
- Top-dress your lawn now to level out uneven patches and to stimulate spring growth. Use a specially formulated lawn dressing and not topsoil, which may contain unwanted weed seeds. Tip the contents of the lawn dressing package onto the lawn and use the back of a rake to spread the dressing over your lawn. Fill in any holes with a thicker layer of dressing.
- Target any weeds that pop up in early spring as soon as possible. Either pull them out by hand or use a broad-leaf weed killer in targeted areas. If you’re not sure what to use, bring a sample of the weed into your closest Stodels Garden Centre and ask a sales consultant to advise a suitable weed killer.
- Mow your lawn regularly (at least fortnightly) and make sure that you never cut off more than a third of each blade of grass. This will ensure that the roots of your grass remain shaded from the sun. Make sure your mower blades are sharp to prevent tearing of the grass as it is cut.
- Water your lawn deeply once a week in spring and twice a week during the heat of summer.
Lie back and enjoy your lawn – you’ve earned it!
SHARE THIS ARTICLE: