August is a good month to give your lawn some extra attention. This will help it recover from the winter cold and prepare it for the spring growth that lies ahead. We offer our garden experts’ best tips for what you should do now – and in the coming months – to ensure that your grass stays lush and green.
Top tips to get your lawn in perfect shape for summer:
- Feed your lawn. Invest in a specially formulated lawn fertiliser such as Bio Ganic Lawns and apply in the early morning while it is still cool. Water well afterwards. Make a note in your diary to feed your lawn at 4- to 6–week intervals.
- Top-dress your lawn. Use a specially formulated lawn dressing (not topsoil, which may contain unwanted weed seeds) to level out uneven patches and to stimulate spring growth. Tip the contents of the lawn dressing package onto the lawn and use the back of a rake to spread the dressing over your lawn. Fill in any bare patches with a thicker layer of dressing.
- Target any weeds that pop up in early spring as soon as possible. Either pull them out by hand or use a broadleaf weed killer in targeted areas. If you’re not sure what to use, bring a sample of the weed into your closest Stodels Garden Centre and ask one of our garden experts to advise a suitable weed killer.
- Mow your lawn regularly. Mow your lawn at least fortnightly and make sure that you never cut off more than a third of each blade of grass. This will ensure that the roots of your grass remain shaded from the sun. Make sure your mower blades are sharp to prevent tearing of the grass as it is cut.
- Water your lawn deeply once a week in spring. Water twice a week during the heat of summer.
Lie back and enjoy your lawn – you’ve earned it!
SHARE THIS ARTICLE: